The Catholic University of America

Media Advisory

WHAT:

Crough Center to Celebrate 20th Anniversary as Home of School of Architecture and Planning

WHEN: 5:30 to 8 p.m., Friday, Oct. 23

WHERE: The Catholic University of America
Edward M. Crough Center for Architectural Studies, Joseph Miller Exhibition Hall
620 Michigan Ave., N.E.
Washington, D.C.

DETAILS:

CUA's School of Architecture and Planning will host a reception and program to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Edward M. Crough Center for Architectural Studies.

The Crough Center, first opened as a gymnasium in 1919, was converted to the home of the architecture program after a $4 million renovation that began as a 3 ½-week class project for graduate students. The renovated building - an example of the architectural concepts of innovative recycling and adaptive re-use - was dedicated on Oct. 19, 1989.

Two men who were instrumental in the project will be recognized during the program: Professor John V. Yanik, who served as associate architect for design during the center's renovation, and the late Vlastimil Koubek, the architect of record for the renovation and the person for whom the center's Koubek Auditorium is named.

Also during the program, the 2009 Joseph Miller Alumni Medallion will be awarded to C.R. George Dove, M.Arch. 1972, managing principal of WDG Architecture in Washington, D.C. The medallion is given for outstanding service to the school and to the professional architecture community and is named for the late Joseph Miller, B.Arch. 1938, a professor emeritus in the School of Architecture and Planning.

For more information, contact Michelle Rinehart, assistant dean for administration in the School of Architecture and Planning, at 202-319-5265 or rinehart@cua.edu.

MEDIA: To cover the program, contact Katie Lee or Mary McCarthy in the Office of Public Affairs at 202-319-5600.

-30-
#052