News at CUA

Icon bar Features Endnote Letters Alumni Essay CUA Alumni News In Class Reading List Scoreboard Explorations News@CUA President's Forum Features Endnote Letters Alumni Essay CUA Alumni News In Class Reading List Scoreboard Explorations News@CUA President's Forum Features Endnote Letters Alumni Essay CUA Alumni News In Class Reading List Scoreboard Explorations News@CUA President's Forum

Features Endnote Letters Alumni Essay CUA Alumni News In Class Reading List Scoreboard Explorations News@CUA President's Forum

CUA Announces Plans to Transform South Campus

Supreme Knight and His Wife Address Graduates

New Master's Programs Unveiled

Law School Makes Impressive Gain

Nearly 45 Go on a Mission

Research Attracts Major Funding

Broken Leg, Not Broken Spirit

Caldwell Chapel Window Resorted

"Green" Opus Hall to Open in 2009

2008 Cardinals Dinner Raises $1.5 Million

One From the Archives: Blessing a Nuclear Reactor

Milestones

 

One From the Archives: Blessing a Nuclear Reactor

Monsignor William J. McDonald blesses a new CUA nuclear reactor. along with his assistant for university development, Monsignor John J. McClafferty, and Dean of the School of Engineering and Architecture Donald Marlowe.

The university’s rector, Monsignor William J. McDonald (center), blesses a new CUA nuclear reactor on Nov. 19, 1957, along with (left to right) his assistant for university development, Monsignor John J. McClafferty, and Dean of the School of Engineering and Architecture Donald Marlowe. According to a 1958 article in the CUA Bulletin, this may have been “the first time that a nuclear reactor, such as this, has been formally blessed” anywhere. The reactor was used as a laboratory instrument in classes on reactor physics and reactor engineering until it was decommissioned in 1982.


magazine cover

Return to the CUA Magazine Contents Page

Return to the CUA Public Affairs Home Page


Revised: August 2008

All contents copyright © 2008.
The Catholic University of America,
Office of Public Affairs.