Oct. 15, 2014
German Studies Program to Commemorate Fall of Berlin Wall
Catholic University’s German Studies Program within the Department of Modern Languages and Literatures will host a week of events, Oct. 20 through 24, in honor of the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall.
“The fall of the Berlin Wall on Nov. 9, 1989, is one of the most exciting and joyful celebrations in German history,” said Amanda Sheffer, clinical assistant professor of German.
The Embassy of Germany in Washington, D.C., is sponsoring the events through its campus weeks program. Catholic University is among about 40 universities selected to participate in the national program.
Sheffer said Catholic University’s German Studies program and European Studies certificate program make the University a great fit for the celebration.
“Our location in Washington puts us at the forefront of great opportunities and speakers,” she added.
The event details for the week follow.
• Oct. 20, 6 p.m., Hannan Hall, Room 108, the screening of documentary film Ode to Joy
• Oct. 21, 7 p.m., Hannan Hall, Room 108, the screening of fiction film Good Bye Lenin
• Oct. 22, 7 p.m., McGivney Hall, Room 106, panel discussion with reception to follow featuring Patrice Poutrus, professor, Institut Fur Zeitgeschichte, University of Vienna; Stephen Silvia, professor, School of International Service, American University; Michael Kimmage, professor, Department of History, Catholic University; and Karlfried Bergner, head of communication and culture department, the Embassy of Germany
• Oct. 23, 6 p.m., Hannan Hall, Room 108, Martin Jankowski, German author and musician, will read from his novels
• Oct. 24, trip to see the Berlin Wall at the Newseum in Washington, D.C.
“The anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall allows our CUA community to come together to understand the event from different perspectives. Students of history, politics, European studies, and German studies all share their expertise in understanding the event from different disciplines,” Sheffer said.
For additional information and special accommodations, contact Amanda Sheffer at email@example.com.